What information we collect
We limit the personal information that we collect to what is necessary to offer this website. The types of information that we collect include:
Information you provide directly to us
You don’t have to provide information directly to us to view the site, but when you use certain functions such as our contact form, email alerts or comments section we may ask you to provide information, including:
- Contact information, such as name, email address, postal address, phone number, and mobile number; and
- Your Facebook profile
Information automatically collected
When you visit and interact with the site, certain non-personally identifiable information may be collected automatically, including:
• your computer’s Internet Protocol (IP) address;
• your browser type and operating system;
• the web pages you were visiting immediately before and after you came to the Site;
• activities within community discussions;
• web pages and advertisements that you view, and links that you click on, within the site;
• information about the searches you perform on the site and how you use the results of those searches;
• information about the services that you use on the Site, how frequently you use them; and your responses to the offerings and advertisements presented on the site, including those available through third party websites
• your bandwidth speed and information about the software programs that are installed on your computer;
• aggregated data about email click-through rates and user video viewing;
• location data and other information about mobile devices used to access and interact with the site;
• standard server log information; and
• information collected through HTML cookies, Flash cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies. Please see our discussion of cookies and other technologies below.
Information from other sources
We may access information about you from third-party sources and platforms, including:
• if you access third-party social networking services such as Facebook Connect or Twitter through the site, your username and connection lists for those services;
• demographic data, such as age range, gender, and interests;
• advertisement interaction and viewing data, such as ad click-through rates and information about how many times you viewed a particular ad; and
• unique identifiers, including mobile device identification numbers, that can identify the physical location of such devices in accordance with applicable law.
Please note that the site may combine the information that we collect with information we obtain from third-party sources.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We collect information for one or more of the following purposes:
We may use the information we collect to send you e-mails, such as editorial updates, newsletters or changes to the site, and promotional messages about our own or our marketing partners’ products and services.
With your consent, we may use your mobile number to send you promotions, notifications, or other services.
To provide you with free access to our content, we display advertisements on the site. To create a more customized online experience for you, some of the ads you may receive are tailored to your preferences using information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other sources, such as ad networks which help us to present customized content and advertisements on the site. Through this process, advertisers reach site visitors who are most interested in their products, and you see advertising for products or services in which you may be interested. For more information on how cookies and other technologies work, please see our discussion of cookies and other technologies below.
To learn more about how our site is used, we aggregate and analyze the data that we collect. We may use this information, for example, to monitor and analyze use of the site, to increase our site’s functionality, and to better tailor our content and design to suit our visitors’ needs.
We may use the information that we collect to meet legal and regulatory requirements, to prevent illegal activities, and to otherwise protect our rights and the rights of our users.
• We may share aggregated information or information that does not directly identify you with third parties to help us develop content, services, and advertising that we hope you will find of interest. Please note that we do not share contact information with third parties that advertise on the site.
• We may use third parties for site-related services, such as database management, maintenance services, analytics, marketing, data processing, and email and text message distribution. These third parties have access to your information only to perform these tasks on our behalf.
• If you choose to engage in public activities on the site, such as posting comments on community message boards, any information you submit can be read, collected, or used by others. Please exercise caution when deciding to disclose any personal information in public activities or submissions.
• We may share information about you to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety or other rights and interests of any person, or as otherwise required by law.
• We may share information about you to respond to court orders, search warrants, judicial proceedings, subpoenas, legal process, or other law enforcement measures, to establish or exercise our legal rights, or to defend against legal claims.
• In addition to the scenarios identified above, we may share information about you for any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your information or with your consent.
Please note that third parties may independently collect data about you, including your IP address and information about the websites you visit and the links you click, through cookies, clicks on links, or other means when you visit or view ads on the site. For more information, see our section on cookies and other technologies below.
To customize your experience on the site and to simplify the site’s registration process for comments and other services, we may use third-party services such as Facebook and Twitter. When you connect to the site through these third-party services, we may share information about you with these third-party service providers and they may share data about you with us.
Please remember that we do not control the privacy practices of these third-party services. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of all third-party service providers.
Cookies & Behavioral Advertising
We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads and collect information when you visit our website. These companies will NOT have access to or use any personally identifiable information (including your name, address, email address or telephone number) but will use other non-personal information about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements on this website, other sites, and other forms of media about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.
Confidentiality and Security
We have privacy and security practices to safeguard your personal information. We keep personal information only as long as necessary for the purposes for which it was collected and as permitted or required by law. We also limit access to information about you to employees or service providers who we believe reasonably need to come into contact with that information to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs.
Please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We want you to feel confident using the site, but we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us.
Information May Be Handled Outside of Canada
The site and its third party partners may perform activities outside of Canada and potentially collect, transfer, store, and process your personal information in other countries. As a result, your information may be subject to the laws of those countries. These laws may not be the same as the privacy and data protection laws in Canada. Information may be disclosed in response to valid demands or requests from government authorities, courts, or law enforcement in these countries.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If we learn that we have collected any personal information from a child under the age of 13 without verifiable parental consent, we will delete that information from our database as quickly as possible. If you believe that we may have collected information from a child under 13, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Effective date: Dec 10, 2017